Wednesday, March 22, 2017

'What's today?' asked Piglet, 'my favourite day', said Pooh.

I jumped out of bed, the count down on my phone read zero. It was finally time! Our long awaited adventure was here. A full day of work and we were off!

The plan: a ten night road trip with Roey up the Victorian coast through the Gippsland region up to the NSW coast staying in Paynesville, Mallacoota, Tathra then inland to the NSW Snowy Mountains staying in Jindabyne. Returning home via a night in Yackandandah.

Looking across to Paynesville from Raymond Island


Packing: The 'Commo' contained four bikes (two mtb, two road), a whole heap of kit, shoes, helmets, civilian clothing, pump and my pillow. Pack light travel far did not apply to this trip for us. I am really not sure how I would manage bike packing and kept thinking how the Indian Pacific Wheel Racers were going to pack for the trip across Australia if this is how much I packed for ten days!

The Commo in all it's glory 

Our first adventure was mountain bike riding around Raymond Island, a very short ferry trip from Paynesville to see plenty of koalas and kangaroos. It did not disappoint. This was followed by a beautiful and very serene breakfast at a cafe overlooking the marina, recommended to me by my boss Maddie (Thanks Maddie!). This reminded me of Adelaide and I almost felt home. I could have stayed there sitting in the sun looking at boats all day but we had plenty more to see and do before arriving in Mallacoota that night. 

We journeyed through to Mallacoota via Metung, Lakes Entrance, Lake Tyers Beach before following the scenic, and rather wet, highway to Mallacoota. Mallacoota was quite clearly a town for fishing so it seemed fitting that we finish the day with some fresh fish from a local market and a mangrove walk that finished by the beach. We enjoyed dessert with a kangaroo watching closely.

A beach at Mallacoota, VIC

Boats at Paynesville, VIC
Lake Tyers Beach

The next morning we were keen to hit the road early as we had many more towns to pass through to make it to Tathra, NSW. We explored Eden, Pambula, Merimbula and Tura Beach before making our way to Tathra where we stayed for three nights. We stayed in a gorgeous little eco cabin by a lake in Tathra called Kianinny Resort and on arrival we were warned to watch out for large Lace Monitors and Sun Dragons sunning themselves. I thought they were kidding about the large Lace Monitors but they really weren't. 

One of the Lace Monitors we saw whilst mtb riding

Tathra is a stunning, small beachside town between Merimbula and Bermagui. Highlights of our time here included exploring the 50 km of single track mtb riding around Tathra known as the Bundadung Trails and the Fire Shed Trails. We also explored the Tura Beach trails. So that we did not forget that we are primarily road riders who dabble in mtb riding, we also thought it would be a great idea to ride our roadies to Bermagui, another sea side town further North. On paper this ride didn't look too unlike rides where we live in the Yarra Valley, Victoria..but paper sometimes lies. This ride was one of the most spectacular rides I have done traversing through national parks then following beautiful country roads before opening up and following the sea/beach line to Bermagui.

Whilst 'on paper' the ride looked undulating, the 94 km with 1600m vertical was quite brutal. 'Undulating' wasn't really the right word, it contained many short, steep bergs over and over and over again. Of course, the wind picked up while we stopped at a random, but very hip boutique coffee shop in Bermagui so we had to contend with a head wind home too but it was very much worth it! I would highly recommend this ride to any roadie, we were treated with the utmost respect by other road users too which was greatly appreciated. The helpful and very friendly staff at Tathra Beach and Bike made our experience in Tathra that extra bit special, taking time out of their busy day to give us trail ideas to get the most out of the riding experience. If you are a bike enthusiast and are in the area, definitely go say hello!

Below are some snap shots of our adventures from Tathra on the mountain bike, roadie and a board walk in nearby Merimbula. 



Stoked after a session of the best mtb trails I've ever done!
Whilst I was sad to leave Tathra, we sure packed in a lot of adventures as well as some much needed R&R into our three days there. I was, however, super excited in anticipation of our next destination, Jindabyne! This really did not disappoint. As much as I loved Tathra, I totally fell in love with Jindabyne. At the base of the Snowy Mountains in NSW with ski resorts Thredbo and Perisher nearby, this town based around a lake is equally serene as it is scenic! So many grouse cafes to relax at and mtb trails right from our door step weaving around the lake. 

Whilst I was actually ill for the most part of our time in Jindabyne, it was the best place to relax to recover! From our bed I could see the lake and I was able to do short mtb rides around the lake to get some fresh air (despite then requiring lengthy naps most afternoons!). Roey was healthy enough by the Saturday to head up Charlotte's Pass, a 40 km climb pretty much starting in Jindabyne. Charlotte's Pass is the last place you can drive/ride before hiking to Australia's highest point, Mt Kosciuszko! I met Roey at the base and rode with him to brews while he debriefed about his climb. Basically, he loved it. Quiet, long, winding roads with a strong head wind for the final kms. I think he deserved his brunch. We also spent some time at Thredbo Resort, having driven up and had a lovely lunch there from the bakery. If I'd had more energy, we would have ridden the famous Thredbo Valley Trail between Thredbo and Lake Crackenback Resort but I guess this gives us an excuse to return!



Of course the days rolled by far more quickly than I would have liked but finally time came to re-pack the commo and begin the journey home. To break up what would've been a long days drive, we had decided to stay a night in Yackandandah, so that I could visit one of my best friends from school, Bec, in Albury and then Roey's good friend Jonny in Bright before winding our way back around to the Yarra Valley for the joy of unpacking. 

Roey and I are both big believers in making the most of every day. We truly did this on our wonderful holiday adventure but for now it's back to work, ticking boxes as we make progress in our chosen careers. 

Our next holiday adventure will be to Mount Beauty over Easter with my mum and step-dad. Before then I have an unplanned three day trip to Adelaide, which was supposed to be for a course but that was cancelled this week but I'm still going so I can see many friends and family. 

Until next time! Safe riding and keep exploring the #roadlesstravelled 

Emus in Jindabyne (and how's that sky!)
My number one partner in adventure, Roey 



No comments:

Post a Comment